Friday, August 20, 2010

Back To School: If I Can Ever Figure This Out, That Is

I swear, colleges make their process so damn complicated, I'm starting to wonder how anyone in this country even has a degree. I don't know if it's like this in other parts of the world, too, but I can speak for my own undergrad and say it wasn't, so right now I am beyond frustrated.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I don't know exactly what I want to study. Is there some way to merge Public Administration (w a focus in Women's Studies) w Public Policy w Social Work w International Business w International Development w Languages?

What, that doesn't exist?

Oh, and to make matters worse, here's an obstacle made just for me; I don't think any (good) university in the US will accept my Bachelor's degree bc I obtained it from a fashion-specific college, where they use a French/Syrian grading system. Therefore, GPAs and transcripts do not exist, and so, in order to get this Master's degree I would so like to have, I am terrified I might need to go get me a new BA!

Sigh.

The complicatedness of the system alone was enough to deter me from going back to school years ago, back when I had had enough of fashion the last time (yes, it's happened more than once over the span of my career). But now that I'm seriously considering it, now that I've taken in the idea so much that it's practically a given in my own head, now that it's been marinating in my brain for months -- well, now it's not enough to deter me, but with the added unforeseen challenges, it is enough to make me crazy.

Yesterday I researched schools for 5 minutes. Five minutes! And my brain was fried. That happens every single time I try to get somewhere with this goal. Time and again I realize why it is so much easier to stay in a miserable job than to do something new with your life. But I refuse to let that be me.

One of these days I'm gonna figure this whole thing out and laugh about how frustrated I was. Actually, what I think is gonna happen is, by some miracle-slash-sheer perseverance on my part, despite all these obstacles, I'm gonna make sure I do get accepted into a Master's program, and then I'll be super frustrated with things like exams and paper deadlines and theses and so on, that I'll wonder why I was dying to go back to school in the first place. Then I'm gonna refer back to this post and either laugh at my intuitiveness, or bawl.

Only one way to find out, I guess. I'm off to do some more research!

7 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Sheesh! They make it hard.

Might be worth talking to an admissions counselor about your transcripts (or lack of). I'm thinking they will really want someone of your calibre and will find ways to work the system on your behalf.

Just tell them you speak umpteen languages. Americans are highly impressed by that. :-)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

You having a BA in another field shouldn't matter for your new goal of a master's. Many years ago when I went back to get a credential, I didn't have the proper BA for it. For me, all that meant was taking additional credits in the subject matter I wanted to teach. You'd probably have to do that--fulfill certain undergraduate courses that are requisites to master's courses. An admissions counselor or department advisor ought to give you the info you need. Good luck!

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. :-)
Su-sieee! Mac
This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.

Ziggy said...

Thx for all the words of encouragement, ladies, God knows I need 'em! I am slowly but surely figuring things out...

Susie I think you may be right, I may just need to make up undergrad credits, however, bc my degree was so fashion specific, that leaves basically ALL the Gen Ed to cover... which is a whole lot... BUT you never know until you ask, so Im going to talk to some advisors and find out :) I will keep everyone posted thru the blog... The saga will continue to unfold ;)

LL, lmao at "Americans are highly impressed by that"...! You mean batting my eyelashes isn't gonna be enough, now I have to do in in French?? Mon Dieu ;)

Ziggy said...

"someone of your calibre" -- you are my personal cheerleader when i need one most, and i dont even have to ask for it, it just comes.. thank you :)

Anonymous said...

just found your blog through wordless wednesday--love it. Now I'm a follower :)

Good luck with figuring out the college thing! I didn't know what I wanted to study either (had to much I wanted to focus on) and after graduating, I STILL don't know what I want to do!! LOL

Ziggy said...

Miles To Go, thank you!! You made my day this morning when I saw ur comment :)

Tony Rabbat said...

Ziggy, that reminds me of the early years of this decade (or should I refer to it as last decade?) I tried to go to calstate to get my masters in education and become a teacher. The process was so painful and it definitely made me say screw it, I'll be a teller. But your blog reminded me of my BA from Syria and English and world literature and I always thought I was one of the best students at school, it turned out once I evaluated my GPA, I was the worst LOL. It was a reason also for my scholarship in Kansas to get declined because we use different scales over there. Anyway, I admire your determination, go for it and study on your and my behalf too LOL