Monday, May 31, 2010

Goodbye St Thomas. Hello... reality. Ugh.

OK first off let me say, I owe y'all 4 posts at minimum (the charter plane ride to a tiny island about 30 minutes away from St Thomas, Sweden, Belgium and my friend's wedding in NJ). However, since I went to Europe at the end of April, I have barely had time to do anything, let alone sit still long enough to crank out blog posts. I know, I seem to have a lot of excuses. Well, for starters, Im a procrastinator, and if you know me at all then you already knew that. Two, I really have been busy. And 3, I am still trying to get the hang of this regular blogging thing, and sometimes it goes well, and sometimes it doesnt. So, please bear with me, bc even if I do say so myself, I think I have a lot of interesting and downright entertaining stories to tell.

So 3 days from now, Monet and I will be leaving St Thomas for good. I have mixed feelings about this, but to sum it up: I dont want to stay here, but I dont necessarily want to go back home either. For lack of anywhere else I can think of to take myself, I decided going to NY just made the most sense. Reality is hovering over my head like a dark cloud and I dont like it, so no, Im not excited about going back to the real world and being faced with the fact that, after seven months of more-or-less bumming it, I need to get my life together. Even tho I myself am really at that point where I feel like I need to accomplish something concrete again.

Anyway, I have been packing for a few days now, and can I just say, I am so damn tired of packing, unpacking, cleaning, organizing, and so on. In the past month I have packed for 2 big trips and 1 mini-trip. In the past 7 months, I have packed up one whole apartment in NY, unexpectedly moved to The Rock and ended up putting together an apartment here, and now I have to pack that one up. All to go back home so I can unpack all my St Thomas crap, in addition to 6 years worth of NY crap that I shoved in 2 closets when I left the city in October. Yay for me, Im so excited I cant handle it.

I woke up this morning at 830 after a most fabulous weekend that I will never forget (2 excellent going away parties with all our island friends), and got down to the get-down. The landlord was coming by at an as-yet undetermined time to inspect the apartment, but knowing him, 9am sounded about right, so there was no time to waste. I had already filled one large suitcase and felt like I was about 75% of the way through with my room. Most of the clothes were packed, so all that was left was the little things. The shoes. The accessories. The random papers and mail and stuff Ive accumulated in the past 6 months. The junk drawer in the night stand and all the junk on top of the night stand. Under the bathroom sink, the kitchen cabinets, the fridge, the laundry room. Ouch. By 230 I was so antsy, I couldnt get out of the house fast enough.

Monet apparently felt the same way. We took out the 17 million bags of trash that had appeared out of nowhere when we were cleaning and ran away to have lunch. Post-lunch, our conversation went something like this:

"I have to go to Rainbow to return this shirt, you think they're open?"
"Let's go find out"
"OK. I also have to buy the Super's wife in NY a souvenir"
"OK. Lets go to Havensight n see if they're open"
"Cool"

Rainbow was open, Havensight was closed. The conversation continued as so:

"OK, can we think of anywhere else to go to avoid going home and packing?"
(Pause) "Nope, doesnt look like it"
"Dammit. We didnt do a very good job"
"No, we sure didnt"
"Wait! Let me run into Gourmet Gallery, I need some candy for later"

Needless to say, at some point soon thereafter, we were back at the house. I sprawled myself on the couch and turned on the TV. Monet disappeared into her room. I got up for something from the kitchen and peeked down the short hallway. Mo was laying on the bed with her laptop. Sweet, no immediate peer pressure!

I watched half an episode of Cheers and then I thought I should get up and get to packin'. As I was flipping through channels tho, I glimpsed Oprah, and well... I have to watch Oprah. So I did. For a while, but then I lost interest. Then I thought I should take this time and blog. I so love to blog in chronological order, but I figured if I waited any longer to get the events of April & May into the cyber world, I would be 80 by the time you guys had a chance to read about what I did the spring before I turned 30. So I bent my blogging rule, and here I am; sitting on the couch, typing away, the news on mute, the AC on, and all the crap piled on my bed just waiting to be put into a suitcase. Its 723pm and I feel like its midnight.

I hope you enjoy :)

2 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Enjoyed, enjoyed!

Cannot imagine "Ziggy" and "30" in the same paragraph.

I hope your transition goes smoothly and that you find your concrete.

Ziggy said...

Me either! But I think Ive done fairly well in embracing it (the 'ziggy' and '30' in same paragraph, or, two days from now, in the same sentence lol)... no freaking out here... yet :)

aaah the transition is currently anything but smooth, but I think itll get better soon. thank you!